The Dying Well Community Charter
The Swindon Dying Well Community Charter (DWCC) sets out to create a visible commitment by individuals, communities and organisations, working together to support people with a life-limiting illness, their families and carers and those who are bereaved.
The Charter is a nationally led idea, but the ideas and commitments within it are ones that many local organisations will recognise as important and valid for our local community of Swindon.
A group of local organisations have come together to create a Swindon specific charter. These organisations include the Clinical Commissioning Group, Great Western Hospital, Healthwatch Swindon, Prospect Hospice , Public Health Swindon and the Swindon Carers Centre. We are working collaboratively to support local organisations and community groups to make a real difference to local people; there is no cost associated with this support. Our drive and ambition is simply to make sure there is recognition and consideration for the support needed by those who have a life-limiting illness, their families and carers and those who are bereaved – if every organisation does a little collectively we’ll make a huge difference.
Some of the steps we are asking organisations to consider include one or more of the following:
- Creating a Bereavement or Compassionate leave policy (or adapt someone else’s)
- Creating flexibility in the workplace for those with a life-limiting illness, family member or carer
- Sign-posting to useful advice and support, communicate what support you have and how to access it
- Highlighting the Local Offer website locally and visibly
- Supporting managers in the workplace
- Nominating a single point of contact for key information
- Feeding back to us what changes have been made in six months’ time and sharing your learning
For more information about how to get involved in the DWCC or to ask how we can support you, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org