Help for Care Leavers to get into education, training and employment

There are a range of options and support available to help you get into education, employment or training.

Building Bridges

Building Bridges is a free programme that supports people across Swindon and Wiltshire who are facing significant challenges in being able to develop their skills, access education or move towards the world of work.

The programme offers:

  • Work experience and work taster sessions
  • CV development workshops
  • Job searching
  • Interview preparation
  • In-work support
  • Volunteering opportunities
  • Psychologist-led counselling services
  • Specialist employment support for people with an Autistic Spectrum condition

In order to take part, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Not working
  • Have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom
  • Live in Swindon or Wiltshire
  • Be aged 15 or over
  • Not in Prison
  • Not on a zero hours contract

What do I do if I am interested in an Apprenticeship?

An Apprenticeship gives you hands-on experience, a paid wage and the opportunity to gain qualifications while you work, this could even be a degree.

There are over lots of types of Apprenticeship for many job roles – anything from engineering to boat-building, or veterinary nursing to accountancy.

For more information visit the apprenticeship opportunities page on our Local Offer site, or on the GOV.UK website.

You can also search and apply for an Apprenticeship and if you need any help your Pathway Advisor can support you.

What do I do if I am interested in full-time education?

If you are aged 16 to 19 and want to study full-time, then you will be applying for a study programme. The right study programme for you will depend on your achievements so far and your career goals.

Your programme will either be built around your:

  • A level choices (the academic route)
  • Applied or technical qualifications you are interested in (the vocational route)

You will need to study English and Maths if you do not already have a GCSE grade 4 in these subjects.

Where can I study full-time?

Swindon young people study at many places.

You can study at:

What is a vocational study programme?

A vocational study programme will prepare you for employment. It will give you the technical knowledge and practical skills for industry work. There are a huge range of vocational study programmes to suit your interests and abilities. If you are not sure where to start, perhaps you should visit the careers advice page first.

What are Adult Learning programmes?

Adult Community Learning (ACL) courses are provided by Swindon Borough Council for the 19+, free of charge to the unemployed or those earning a low wage.

You can find details of planned courses here: Adult Community Learning courses 

You can call the Adult Community Learning team on 01793 466482

Getting in touch

For more information or advice, please contact your Pathway Advisor. You can also contact the Positive Futures Team on 01793 466715 or email

Related content