Help for Care Leavers with university costs

If you are a Care Leaver and you take a University degree or Higher Education course, then Positive Futures will support you with:

  • Locating and applying for the right University course
  • Applying for Student Finance and/ or other funding you may be eligible for
  • A one-off Computer Grant for a notepad or lap-top depending on an assessment of need and if not previously accessed – up to £300
  • A bursary of £2000 split into equal payments for every year you attend. This is provided over the period of a two, three or four year course. Depending on the length of the course the £2,000 per course will consist of £1,000 per year (2-year course) £666.67 per year (3 year course) £500 per year (4 year course)
  • Accommodation up to £3000 over academic holidays
  • Liaise with the nominated support worker at the University to ensure you are able to access all the support you need
  • Finding and purchasing books and other things you may need

Depending on your needs, you have the option to be supported by Positive Futures in your Higher Education journey until you reach the age of 25.

Information about general financial support available to Care Leavers can be found via the Student finance pages on the GOV.UK website. This has lots of information as well as being the place to apply. There are downloadable guides that are very good and if needed, your PA, can help you go through these.

What other support is available?

  • Citizens Advice – can support you with issues around debt and money, including help with debt, budgeting, mortgage problems, rent arrears, banking etc.
  • Money Saving Expert – offers advice on how to save money, including help with banking and savings, utilities and bills, travel and motoring insurance etc.
  • StepChange - offers free, impartial and confidential advice to help people deal with their debts.
  • Rees Crisis fund – offers financial support for care leavers in emergency situations for e.g. food, gas/electricity, transport

Getting in touch

For more information or advice, please contact Positive Futures on 01793 466715 or email

Related content

Support for Care Leavers going to university