Voice and Influence Panel
We are the Voice and Influence Panel! We are group of Care Experienced young people who use our voices to change things for ourselves and other Care Leavers.
The Voice and Influence Panel (VIP) is a space for Care Leavers to meet, share experiences and make change! Our aim is to work together to give Care Leavers the best chance of a positive future. We talk openly about what’s going well, what’s not and what we can do to change this.
Who is a Care Leaver?
- A Care Leaver is someone who…
- Is no different from any other young adult
- Should be listened to and respected
- Should be given the same opportunities as any other young adult
- Is 16-25 who has been in the care of Swindon Borough Council.
- May live with their foster family, in supported accommodation, semi-independent or independent accommodation
What do we do in VIP?
We will meet other young people (18+) once a month in a safe space to discuss our experience in care, and issues that matter to US.
We are experts by experience - our thoughts, views and ideas are vital to improving services for us, Children Looked After and Care Leavers in Swindon
What can you expect in our meetings?
- Our meetings are held online via Teams but we also like to meet in person for fun events!
- What you say will make a difference
- You will give feedback to people in charge of Social Care
- We discuss issues you want to focus on
- We make time to socialise and get to known each other
- You will be able build and develop skills for the future and your CV
What work have we done so far?
We have been really busy this past year taking on lots of projects and consultation work. Here are just a few of our highlights and things have had a part in making positive change in:
- Redesigning the Care Leavers Local Offer - made by Care Leavers, for Care Leavers. See our work here: Care Leavers Local Offer
- CLA/Care Leavers Social Care Inspection week – we interviewed professionals, rated services we use and provided recommendations for improvements.
- Giving feedback to services inside Swindon Borough Council and outside to improve the help and support for us as Care Leavers and young people
Why should I join?
We would love to have you join us as we want to hear from as many Care Leavers as possible to make sure your voices are heard, listened to and acted upon.
If you aren’t already convinced, here are some more plus points of joining VIP:
- Every four hours of meetings you attend you will get a £20 voucher as a thank you for all your fantastic work!
- We get to speak to the people in charge and challenge them to give us the best possible support they can
- You can use your voice to make real, positive change for Care Leavers in Swindon Borough Council
We hope to see you really soon in our VIP meetings. If you want to join us, get in touch with Chloe Wolfe on email@example.com 07929 741819 or contact your Pathway Advisor for more information.