Employment and skills events, webinars and activities
On this page you can find information on local events and opportunities to support your employment and training journey.
The Education, Employment and Training schedule give details of local activities, webinars and support available to help you develop your skills and move into employment.
There are also a number of ongoing events and activities to support you:
New College Swindon open evening - July 2022
New College will be holding their next open evening on Thursday 7th July across both campuses. Registration for this event will be available from the New College website at the beginning of June.
For more information on New College events visit: Upcoming events - New College Swindon
Get Into Health & Social Care (South West)
In partnership with local employers, The Prince's Trust are offering a free online employability programme to introduce young people (aged 18-30) to the Health and Social Care sector, including the opportunity to take part in an interview for live vacancies. More information on the programme is available from the Start your career in health and social care flyer.
Programme dates are: 13th July (taster session) 18th July – 22nd June (main programme), 26th July (interview day)
To find out more and to book a place: Start a career in Health & Social Care (South West)
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service are running a series of free webinars and events to support job seekers. For more information and details of how to book a place visit National Careers Service events.
Adult learner workshop series
Study Higher are running a series of virtual workshops for adult learners to support their progress into Higher Education. The Pathways to Higher Education flyer gives an overview of the webinars available, and for more information visit: Adult learners - Study Higher
The Autism Summer School is for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) who have completed Year 11 and are about to transition to Post-16 destinations. There are a range of summer schools on offer to support autistic young people into university:
- Year 11 Autism Summer School: For autistic students who have completed their GCSEs (or equivalent) and are thinking of the next academic stage. The Autism Summer School is residential and explores autistic strengths and challenges for autistic students who will be taking their A-levels (or equivalent) on their journey to University. This event will take place in August 2022. For more information: Autism Summer School
- Year 12 Subject-Specific Summer School: For all A-level (or equivalent) students who are thinking of going to the University of Bath. These summer schools focus on specific university subjects (such as Engineering) and are open to current Year 12 students. These events take place in August 2022. For more information: Discover Bath
- Year 13 Online Autism Transition School: For autistic students who are going to any university in the coming autumn. Four online sessions (once a month) enable autistic students to connect with each other as they transition to university and through the first term. These online sessions take place September-December. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Year 13 Beginning at Bath: For Autistic students (and other conditions) starting at the University of Bath. A three-day event, the week before university term starts, to orientate students with the campus and develop essential study skills. This event takes place in September. For more information: Beginning at Bath
Health and Safety in the construction industry and CSCS card course
Supporting jobseekers in Swindon, this course starts 8th November and is offering unemployed and economically inactive individuals the opportunity to complete the CSCS card, with support in funding a job in construction. For more information and details of how to enrol see the CSCS course flyer.
Apprenticeship Insight Days
Insight Days provide the opportunity to find out more about employment and apprenticeship options from a variety of employers. Here we have listed some of the events currently available:
Prime Theatre Arts Workshops
Prime Theatre is working with the Friends of Swindon Art Centre to run two free arts workshops for 12-18 year olds on the 23rd July at the Swindon Arts Centre, Old Town. Young people taking part in the workshops will achieve a free Arts Award Discover certificate. The workshops available are:
- Clay Workshop - 10am-12pm
- Painting Workshop - 1-3pm
For more information and to book a place email email@example.com
Starting Point - provide mentoring and creating opportunities for young people aged 15-25 to help them get into education, employment and training. The Starting Point flyer gives an overview of the support they can offer. You can contact them to make a referral or by completing the Starting Point referral form.
Whitehead Ross Traineeship Programme
The traineeship programme can help provide functional skills qualifications, employability skills and lifelong learning while working in small groups and individually. This programme runs on a rolling basis, so learners can join at any time of the year. They will spend 15 hours per week in the classroom and 70 hours overall at a work placement within their chosen career path.
More information and details of how to enrol are available from the Whitehead Ross traineeship flyer.
Inner Flame – Achieve programme
The Achieve programme is a two week course (or five weeks if part-time) for those looking to take their first step towards work, further education or volunteering. Achieve is an active course that empowers you to build confidence and develop life skills to help you move forward and achieve your potential.
For more information about the programme or to make a referral visit: Achieve programme (Inner Flame)
Green Labyrinth - Family Arts and Crafts
Green Labyrinth Education are offering free family arts and crafts on Thursdays from 5-6pm. Download the Green Labyrinth Family Arts and Crafts flyer for more information. Places are limited so you'll need to contact them to book your place on 01793 236245 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Labyrinth - Arts Award programme
This full time level 2 arts award programme from Green Labyrinth recognises all art forms including fashion, poetry, rapping, dance, sculpture, film and arts administration, and backstage roles. Download the Green Labyrinth Arts Award programme flyer for more information, or contact student services on 01793 236245.