We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Information for children and young people about the Swindon Educational Psychology Service

Page created: 08/06/2022

What is an Educational Psychologist?

  • An Educational Psychologist works with children and young people who have a Special Educational Need and/or Disability (SEND) and are in education.
  • We work with children and young people, parents/carers, teachers and other professionals.
  • We use psychology to make sure everyone’s views are heard and to make positive changes.
  • Our aim is to help children and young people achieve their goals and become the people they want to be.

Why might I see an Educational Psychologist?

You might see an Educational Psychologist if:

  • You have difficulties with your school work;
  • You have difficulties understanding and managing your feelings;
  • You have difficulties with your relationships e.g. friends, family, teachers;
  • You have difficulties communicating;
  • You have physical or sensory differences.

If any of these things are affecting your education, an Educational Psychologist can help. 

How do I contact an Educational Psychologist?

The SENCo at your school will ask an Educational Psychologist to see you.

Speak to a teacher or the SENCO at your school if you think an Educational Psychologist might be able to help you.

Your parent/carer may also ask your school to arrange for an Educational Psychologist to see you. 

To contact us

Email: EPSenquiries@swindon.gov.uk

What will happen when I meet the Educational Psychologist?

An Educational Psychologist will usually visit you at your educational setting, or wherever is best for you.

They will explain to you what is going to happen and check that you are happy for them to work with you.

The Educational Psychologist may:

  • Come and see you in class or in the playground;
  • Carry out some tasks. This might include drawing, building, writing, or playing a game;
  • Ask you some questions e.g. what you like to do, what you find difficult, what changes you would like to make, what you want to do in the future.

The Educational Psychologist may also meet with the people who support you e.g. your teachers, parents/carers, etc. to discuss how to support you. 

You can be part of this meeting if you wish.  You may also want to ask for a specific person to be there to support you.   

The Educational Psychologist will work in a Person-Centred way.  This means they make sure everyone’s views are included, especially yours.

What will happen after I have met with the Educational Psychologist?

The Educational Psychologist will often write a record so that everyone can remember what they need to do to help you.

Sometimes, they might also write you a letter.

The Educational Psychologist may come and see you again a little while later to see how you are getting on.

What you think matters?

The Educational Psychologist will want to make sure your views, thoughts and feelings are included in any decisions. 

If you would rather tell someone else your views, thoughts and feelings, then just tell the Educational Psychologist, or another adult you trust.  

The UNCRC and SEND Code of Practice gives more information on your rights and having your views heard. 


  • If you are under 18 years of age, your parent/s or carer/s will be asked to give consent for the Educational Psychologist to see you.
  • If you are 18 or over, you will be asked to give consent
  • Whatever your age, the Educational Psychologist will always check that you are happy for them to work with you. 


It may be helpful for the Educational Psychologist to share what you tell them with the people who support you.

This can help them understand you better.

You can ask the Educational Psychologist not to share what you have said. 

This is called ‘confidentiality'.

However, if you tell them something that means you or someone else has been harmed, or might be harmed, they will have to tell the Safeguarding Lead.

Do you have any more questions?

If you have any questions or want to know more about Educational Psychology, please speak to an adult such as the SENDCo in your school, your teacher or a parent or carer. 

How to contact us:

Email: EPSenquiries@swindon.gov.uk

Back to top